28 January 2009

Coraline

Gabriel loves to read, but sometimes I have to remind myself that he's only 6. We had been reading Coraline together (a brilliant book, directed at children, but worth a read at any age), but it got pretty scary, so we took a break.

He's taken up reading it again himself, so last night when I asked him what was happening in the chapter, he said, "She's in a closet."

"Why?" I asked.

"I don't know."

"Did her other mother put her there?"

"I think so..."

We went back and forth for a bit and, while he has no trouble telling me about what is happening in the Junie B. Jones books he reads, I think Neil Gaiman might be a little above his comprehension level. I guess we'll need to see the movie after we finish reading that one together.

On another Gaiman note, though, he just won the Newbery Medal for the Graveyard Book. Another kids' book on my list of must reads. He's on Twitter, by the way, but doesn't update nearly often enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment